What are Mnemonic Words?
Mnemonic words is one way of expression for the private key, giving the fact that it's the only identity of on-chain assets, anyone got your private key can can have the assets on that address. To make it easier for end-user, developers has converted 64-bit private keys into several common English words using a fixed algorithm, also known as mnemonic words. Mnemonic words are generally made of 12, 15, 18, 21 words. These words are taken from a fixed vocabulary, and their generation sequence is determined according to a certain algorithm.
How Can I Properly Backup My Mnemonic Words?
Once your mnemonic words are stolen/lost, it's irretrievable. To avoid unnecessary issues, please back up mnemonic words immediately once creating your wallet. Please refer to the steps:
Here are a few things you should be noticed when backing up your wallet:
- While creating your wallet, please backup your mnemonic words as soon as possible.
- Use a physical medium to backup your mnemonic words, for instance, you could write them down on a piece of paper and keep it in a secure location.
- Ensure that the mnemonic words are written in the correct order and run a double check.
- Import the mnemonic words into other compatible wallets to make sure it works.
- Keep multiple backups of mnemonic words separately in different secure locations.
- Do not back up mnemonic words in any electronic forms, including screenshot, photo, cloud storage, email, notepad or other third-party apps; you should keep it to yourself only and make sure it always stays offline.
Please kindly be advised:
ViaWallet is a decentralized wallet and we're unable to find them back for you if it's got stolen or lost accidentally! Please back up the mnemonic words properly and never tell anyone about it to avoid asset loss!