Mnemonic words is the other form of the private key, giving the fact that it's the only identity of on-chain assets, anyone has your private key (or mnemonic words) can control the assets on that address. Private key (or mnemonic words) is irretrievable if lost, please make sure to backup and keep it properly.
Step 1: Tap the wallet name on the top left.
Step 2: Tap "..." on the right side of your wallet and check more management operations.
Step 3: Select "Back Up Mnemonic Phrase".
Step 4: After entering the security password to complete the security verification, carefully read and check the box to agree to each security tip, and then tap "Backup".
ViaWallet provides two kinds of backup methods, this tutorial takes the commonly-used method as an example, if you need to encrypt the backup, please check "How to encrypt backup mnemonics".
Step 5: Write down the mnemonic phrase in order on paper or other safe places, the mnemonic phrase is irretrievable if lost, then confirm "I've backed up".
Step 6: Choose the corresponding words as required and tap "Verify".
Step 7: The mnemonic backup is successful.
Tips you should be noticed when backing up:
- Immediate Backup: While creating your wallet, please back up your mnemonic words as soon as possible.
- Paper Records: Use a physical medium to back up your mnemonic words, for instance, you could write them down on a piece of paper and keep it in a secure location.
- Confirm Accuracy: Ensure that the mnemonic words are written in the correct order and run a double check.
- Secondary Verification: Import the mnemonic words into other compatible wallets to make sure it works.
- Multiple Backups: Keep multiple backups of mnemonic words separately in different secure locations.
- Safe Keep: Do not back up mnemonic words in any electronic forms, including screenshots, photos, cloud storage, email, notepad, or other third-party apps; you should keep it to yourself only and make sure it always stays offline.
Note: ViaWallet is a decentralized wallet and we're unable to find them back for you if it's got stolen or lost accidentally! Please back up the mnemonic words properly and never leak them to anyone in case of asset loss!